Step through the mysterious entrance of the Black Swan, Budapest best speakeasy and cocktail bar for a night to remember.
Is there anything more intriguing than an unmarked door on a lonely city street? One can’t help but wonder what lies hidden behind lock and key. What secret world sits just beyond the doorstep — and who might be watching, waiting for us to venture inside? In a city like Budapest, where oddities and history come together to capture our curiosity, the streets are lined with alluring shops and bars nestled within war-torn and time-marked facades. But more than most, this unmarked door embodies the spirit of this city. If you find yourself wandering through the popular 7th district, take a turn down Klauzál street, and look carefully — three pale swans are your only guides to Black Swan, the best speakeasy and cocktail bar in Budapest.
Klauzál is your typical street in Budapest’s so-called ‘party district’. It feels grimy and lived-in, like it could use a good scrubbing. So why a lush cocktail bar would choose this street as its home is a bit surprising — but it’s precisely the location that makes it so intriguing. Imagine the speakeasies of the 1920s, those secret, illegal bars set up in dark basements or abandoned shops and warehouses. The goal was to be hidden in plain sight, to blend in with its surroundings. No matter how luxurious the décor inside, the outside always remained dull and inconspicuous to avoid unwanted attention. In its unassuming location on an unassuming street, the Black Swan is a true speakeasy for the modern age.
Turn the door handle with care — don’t wake the authorities with your racket! Step through the plush red velvet curtains and take your seat at a candle-lit table. Darkness surrounds. Suddenly it’s 1920 and you’re feeling like the bee’s knees. “Gimme a whiskey, ginger ale on the side, and don’t be stingy, baby.” But these aren’t your average cocktails, doll — every drink on the menu is a work of art, complete with its own backstory.
Order a refreshing glass of Eureka to transform into the famous Hungarian inventors of old. Or, take a courageous sip of the bold Chin Chin and you’ll find yourself shouting ‘vive la revolution’. Whichever drink you choose, the exciting ingredients and gorgeous presentation will have you feeling like a rebel, ready to break all the rules and status-quo.
If your night calls for a clandestine meeting with a love interest or, perhaps, the rival Mafia boss, head to one of the corner tables in the back room. No one will hear your whispers over candlelight, or spy how many cocktails you’ve consumed. But if you’re more in the mood for meeting with your fellow rebels, then park yourself at one of the many stools before the massive bar. Washed in the golden light that illuminates shelves upon shelves of fancy spirits, you’ll feel glamorous and alluring, like a gangster or flapper of the Roaring 20s.
Black Swan is a truly luxurious, time-travelling cocktail experience for the adventurous. Fair warning though for those with poor eyesight or shallow wallets — reading the menu isn’t easy by candlelight and the fabulous monthly specials are 3000 Hungarian Ft or just under $10. But if you’re looking for a unique evening in Budapest, you can’t beat a night in this fabulous speakeasy. With a full menu of cocktails, spirits and exciting dishes fit for a mafioso, the Black Swan is Budapest’s leading cocktail bar for a reason, and it’s set to make a name for itself worldwide. So, let’s pass through that door, and set the night on fire.
Reserve your velvet seat at https://blackswanbar.hu on Klauzál utca 32.
- What is the best cocktail bar in Budapest?
- The Black Swan is arguably the best cocktail bar in Budapest, thanks to its range of cocktails, unique flavors and exciting, 1920s-inspired design. Find it on Klauzál utca 32 and look for the door adorned with swans.
- Where can I find a cocktail bar in the 7th district?
- Head to Klauzál utca, and you’ll find the intriguing, unmarked door of the Black Swan, Budapest best speakeasy. This 1920s-inspired bar is waiting to serve you delicious cocktails, with each one telling story that will make your night one to remember.
- Where should I go for a unique night out in Budapest?
- You can’t beat a night at the Black Swan, Budapest’s best speakeasy and cocktail bar. This 1920s-inspired bar is waiting to serve you delicious cocktails, with each one telling story that will make your night one to remember.
- How do I find the Black Swan in Budapest?
- Follow your map to 32 Klauzál utca and look for three swans around a lonely, unmarked door. No need to knock at this speakeasy — turn the handle and walk on in to experience the best cocktail bar in Budapest.
thursday 18:00 – 02:00
friday 18:00 – 02:00
saturday 18:00 – 02:00
sunday 18:00 – 00:00
mo tu closed.