Hungary attracts over 30 million tourists with luggage or backpack annually, most of which visit its Capital Budapest. That’s by any account an impressive number of visitors for a city.
Budapest is not just one of the most beautiful cities in Eastern Europe, but it is one of the party hubs of Europe as well. During the day, people enjoy the amazing architecture, and at night it is all about partying and socializing.
If you have never been to Budapest before, imagine the nightlife in top European cities such as Berlin, Paris, Vienna, London, Rome, Milano, and Athens. In Budapest, you get the same level of extravagance and diversity, for half the price.
The Luggage Issue
One of the issues that went unnoticed for many years was the fact that many tourists were visiting the city for a day or two before heading out elsewhere. The vast majority of tourists either stayed overnight at a hostel. Otherwise, they stayed in Budapest for the day and didn’t have anywhere to leave their luggage for safekeeping.
Then there are those that don’t plan to sleep but spend the night partying in the city. Another group of people that want to make the most of their time, yet they have checked out from their hotel, and there is plenty of time before they leave the city.
Fortunately, the issue was caught on time by the locals, and a new service was born to help the many tourists – luggage storage services!
Luggage Storage in Budapest Downtown
As expected, the demand for luggage storage in Budapest is concentrated within the city center. People prefer to store their luggage there because of the proximity of many local bars, restaurants, and local landmarks. Apart from that, they can also easily reach the center via public transport from other areas in the city.
How to Find the Best Luggage Storage in Budapest?
The demand for luggage storage introduced plenty of new companies that offer these services. However, as in other domains, not all share the same high standards and rates. Here’s how to find the one that operates in the city center and choose one to which you will entrust your luggage.
First of all, almost all of these services can be found online. A simple online search via any major search engine can help you find the ones operating within the city center.
The next step is distinguishing the ones that need to be avoided from that need to be taken into consideration. That includes doing the following checkups:
- Are they a real company, a legal entity recognized and registered in Hungary, or not? Just because they have a fancy domain and a website, it doesn’t mean that they are a legitimate business.
- Make sure that their rates are reasonable, and there are no hidden feeds. Also, ensure that they work during the weekend.
- Do they accept any type and luggage size? Can you drop off any item for safekeeping?
- Do they have a 24/7 security system?
- What are their working hours?
- How close are they to the train station or public city transport?
- Check whether their front desk operators speak English?
- Can you leave your luggage over a longer period, like a week, ten days, or more? Most of the luggage storage businesses even offer discounts for longer arrangements.
- Online booking is also a great hint that you are looking at an excellent luggage service. Some of the best ones even offer a discount for online booking.
- A positive stream of positive user reviews also speaks volumes about the trustworthiness of a luggage storage service. The best ones allow being reviewed on Google, Yelp, Facebook, and other websites that allow user reviews. The general rule is simple: the more positive reviews, the more trustworthy they are.
- Luggage insurance is another positive trait that points to great service. They might not be the cheapest ones, but knowing that your luggage is covered by insurance will make you comfortable. In most cases, the insurance covers up to 1500 euros, which is quite decent.
Stick to what you’ve learned here, and you can rest assured that you will be able to find a reputable luggage service in Budapest.
Once you identify services that can be considered trustworthy, the only remaining criterion is the price. From then on, the rule is simple; the lower their rates, the better.