Looking for a first-hand experience in the local café and ruin pub scene of Budapest? Discover Csendes Létterem.
In the past decade or so, Budapest became known for the iconic ruin pubs of the inner city. With Szimpla Kert as their most prominent member, these run-down bars with the mishmash of furniture and surreal scenery now welcome locals and tourists on many corners of the city. Csendes Létterem Vintage Bar & Café, or in short Csendes bar, is a very fine and unique example of these local peculiarities. Although the colorful and intense interior makes it look just like any other ruin pub in Budapest, Csendes bar stands out from the crowd of other ramshackle buildings with its dual nature. In the mornings, it serves as a chilled café, but for nightfall, it transforms into a buzzing bar. Let’s see what makes it so unique.
Csendes bar is located in the downtown of Budapest, tucked away at a quiet backstreet, Ferenczy István utca. You can find it easily both from Astoria and Kálvin tér metro stations. You really cannot miss it, as the place boasts with a very unique, almost psychedelic atmosphere already at first sight. The high-ceiling building is crammed with the most random objects you can imagine. Contemporary art pieces right under the classic chandeliers, fused with thrifted treasures, misplaced toys, and other bizarre objects as far as the eye can reach. You can easily spend hours trying to find all the hidden figures on the walls – and even more, if you want to make sense of them.
Unlike other ruin pubs of Budapest, Csendes bar is a more relaxed, sit-down type of a place – perfect for deep chats with decent drinks. No wonder it has long been a popular meeting spot for Arts students of the nearby university, ELTE. Loved by locals, expats, and tourists alike, the intense interior and exquisite ambience of Csendes bar will make you forget all your worldly worries. For those interested in more than a cheerful chat at the dimly lit tables, Csendes bar offers a variety of music events with live performances and DJs during the weekends. Just get a drink and enjoy the soul, funk, jazz, or lounge vibes.
The name Csendes Létterem may sound strange to the foreign ear, but the expression is actually a witty wordplay on quietness and existence. This really is the place where you can feel the urge to get philosophical for a night. But Csendes bár has more to it than a pun for its name. The weathered building used to be a well-known café during the glory days of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy. The plaquette outdoors still reminds the viewer that Café Fiume was founded in 1883. The pub’s unique history makes the current décor all the more bizarre. Just to name one of the peculiarities, creepy-looking dolls hang upside down from the walls.
Can’t get enough of the Csendes vibes? We’ve got some good news. Csendes Létterem has a twin terrace bar, Csendes Társ Wine Bar, located just a stone’s throw away at Magyar utca 18. Contrary to the rushlight atmosphere of Csendes bar, Csendes Társ is an open-air venue right at the gate of Károlyi Garden, a treasured small park in Budapest. If you need a cozy spot to chill the hot summer days and nights away, Csendes Társ is your place. Even though the venue is tiny, the selection of drinks is massive – everything is served at your heart’s desire. Keep in mind, though, that the terrace bar is only open between April and September. During the winter season, Csendes Létterem is your place.
And you know what? Third time’s the charm: there’s even more to the Csendes venues. Csendes Concept Store is a recent addition to the brand, offering hand-crafted delicacies and design products created by local artists. This little shop has it all from home-made jam to freshly baked bread (by the way, have you checked out our article on the best artisan bakeries in Budapest?), honey, spices, juice, wine, and more. You can also find unique ceramics, stationery products, jewelry, plants, and furniture pieces in the collection of Csendes Concept Store.
- What is Csendes bar in Budapest?
- While Csendes Létterem Vintage Bar & Café functions as a café during the day, it turns into a unique ruin pub for the night. Located in the inner city of Budapest, close to both Astoria and Kálvin tér metro stations, Csendes bar is a popular meeting place for university students, artists, expats, and tourists alike. Its twin terrace bar, Csendes Társ Wine Bar, is also nearby, offering outdoor chill for hot summer nights.
- Where is Csendes bar in Budapest?
- Csendes Létterem Vintage Bar & Café is located in the 5th district of Budapest, within walking distance both from Astoria and Kálvin tér metro stations. You can find it at Ferenczy István utca 5. Its twin terrace bar, Csendes Társ Wine Bar, is also nearby at Magyar utca 18.
- When is Csendes bar open?
- Csendes Létterem Vintage Bar & Café is open all week: Mon-Wed: 10:00-12:00, Thu-Sat: 10:00-02:00, Sun: 10:00-12:00. Its twin terrace bar, Csendes Társ Wine Bar, is only open between April and September and closed for the winter season.