What is the weather in Budapest like? When shall I visit the capital of Hungary? What should I wear when staying in Budapest? Yes, there are plenty of questions regarding the Budapest weather due to the fact that Budapest has got 4 seasons, with different weather ranging from freezing cold -15 degrees to steaming hot +40 degrees. Do not worry at all, we are going to give you interesting facts and useful tips for making the best of your Budapest trip in terms of the weather.
THE 4 SEASONS
In general, we can say that people living in Budapest are blessed, because they can experience all the 4 seasons.
The climate in Hungary is the mixture of Continental and Oceanic, which makes it very changeable, although there are some typical patterns that can give us a clue, what to expect when we travel to Budapest.
THE EVER CHANGING BUDAPEST WEATHER
As we have already mentioned the weather can be very changeable, although not totally unpredictable. Global warming has influenced the weather conditions a lot in Hungary, but if you are lucky, you can still enjoy the lovely spring or Indian summer when you visit Budapest.
BUDAPEST WEATHER – WINTER
If you wish to spend your Christmas holidays or the first days of the New Year in Budapest, you must prepare for freezing cold, snow and sunny days as well. The festive season in Budapest is pretty vibrant and exciting, with all the Christmas fares around Budapest and don’t miss out on one of the biggest and most stunning ice-skating rinks in Europe!
– When you are completely frozen from staying outside too long, get some hot mulled wine or visit one of the famous hot baths of Budapest to defrost.
– Always wear a hat, scarf and gloves even when sunny it can be very cold for a walk.
– If it is snowing you must plan a half-day tour to the Normafa hill to enjoy the view of Budapest and the frosted trees and have a little fun of sledging or snowballing.
BUDAPEST WEATHER – SPRING
If you are not a huge fan of hot summer days but you don’t want to do sightseeing dressed up like a Michelin Man either spring is your weather. It is very changeable and can be chilly and rainy or super sunny and very warm depending on the month you chose. May is the most likely to be pleasant for a Budapest sightseeing trip. Budapest is a super-cool destination for an Easter break as well. Who can resist the spectacular view of cherry blossoming and the balsamic scent of pre-summer in the air!
– Always dress in layered clothes, because you never know when you want to remove your jumper and enjoy the sunshine or zip your coat up and feel grateful for your warm scarf.
– We do recommend having an umbrella in your bag.
– Don’t leave your sunglasses at home.
– Check the actual Budapest time, because the clocks are moved forward to summertime in March.
BUDAPEST WEATHER – SUMMER
Summer can be pretty hot in Budapest, if you are not into walking down the streets in steaming hot weather you may want to visit Budapest in spring or autumn. Summers are great for staying at Lake Balaton or trying one of the popular baths and swimming pools in Budapest. The number of sunny days is high and the warm summer nights promise perfect weather for eating out in one of the best restaurants or going dancing.
– Don’t forget your sunglasses and sun lotion at home. You can get sunburnt easily while walking around in the city.
– Check out the best bars with terrace and the open-air concert halls or theatres.
– Bring your swimming costume with you, there are plenty of opportunities for a dip (including lakes and swimming pools as well).
BUDAPEST WEATHER – AUTUMN
Indian summers, warm days but chilly nights, the promise of winter and the smell of smoke. These are just a couple of examples of why you should visit Budapest in autumn. As we move forward towards November, it feels more like winter weather but the beginning of October can be surprisingly warm and pleasant. Budapest is less busy during these months since school starts in September and less tourists come to the capital and local people also dive into their daily routine instead of travelling.
– Visit Lake Balaton in September if you want a city-break, because it is a lot more enjoyable compared to the crowded beaches in July.
– Expect some rain, especially in October and November.
– Check the actual Budapest time because the clocks are moved backwards to wintertime in October.
– Watch this teaser video about an empty Budapest in April
Did you know?
1. The most popular summer holiday month is August, all the families will be leaving Budapest behind for the Lake Balaton or a sea resort destination in Croatia.
2. Although we have snow in winter in Hungary, Hungarians need to travel to the nearby mountains in Slovakia or Austria for a ski holiday. The infrastructure and the length of ski slopes in Hungary are limited.
3. The only “dress code” for tourists is that you should wear comfortable clothes that match the weather.
Whether you are planning to visit Budapest in winter or summer, the visit will be memorable and you can find the best programs that fit the actual weather. Museums, festivals, spa places in the buzzing city of Budapest will never bore you.