Why should you come to Budapest in March? What is the weather like in the capital of Hungary in early spring? Read the article and you will get all the answers, useful tips and more.
MARCH WEATHER FACTS
Although March is the official beginning of spring, the weather in Budapest in March can be very challenging and sometimes feels like winter.
The average min. is +2⁰C/36⁰F and the average max. is +10⁰C/50⁰F.
Average rainfall: 31 mm
It is unlikely to snow in March, but we have seen have snowstorms during this month. Prepare for everything!
The number of sunny days is growing.
ADVANTAGES & DISADVANTAGES OF THE BUDAPEST WEATHER IN MARCH
Although travelling in early spring does not seem like an ideal holiday for everybody, here are some advantages, why you should come to Budapest in March.
1. It is only the beginning of the tourist season, the city is pretty quiet yet
2. You can enjoy the several hot baths in Budapest, if you feel cold outside
3. It is the last month of winter sales, but you can already buy the SS collection as well
4. This is the last chance to ice-skate on the famous ice-skating rink (Műjégpálya: https://www.mujegpalya.hu/en) in Budapest. It closes in warm, spring weather, check the website first before you visited it!
5. You can enjoy a beautiful walk in any of the city parks without freezing to death
6. Don’t miss out on the massive celebrations and different outdoor programs on 15th March, which is a Hungarian National Holiday commemorating the 1848 Revolution
7. It is a great season to try something new and enjoy a fantastic dinner in one of the best Hungarian restaurants
8. You should definitely taste the typical Hungarian liquor, called Pálinka in one of the best bars of Budapest
1.Budapest weather in March is very unpredictable it can vary from a warmish sunny day with +10⁰C to a windy, freezing cold day around +2⁰C. (check out April or May in comparison)
2. You need to wear many layers of clothes to keep you warm all the time
3. You need to have a coat with a hood or carry and umbrella to prepare yourself for light snow or rain
– Always wear your clothes in layers
– Hat, scarf and gloves are still recommended (do not get deceived by looking out of the window and seeing a lovely, sunny day!)
– 15th March is a National Holiday in Hungary and everything is closed apart from restaurants and entertainment units, but there are several celebrations going on instead
– Check the local time when landing because in Hungary we set the watches to summertime at the end of March. You don’t want to miss your flight back home! It happens on Saturday night. People can adjust to the new time during the weekend.
– Watch this video about Budapest in spring:
If you prefer to discover a new city in your own pace and don’t like queuing or being hurried, March is your perfect month to visit Budapest. The capital is worth a visit in any season but March is still quiet and the weather is already nice.